Monday, August 24, 2009

~A Swan Story~

Is there anything more beautiful, more gentle, more graceful than a swan? To me the swan has always been a symbol of love, family, loyalty. The swan has been the subject of poets and artists alike. This is the story of a swan that my brother, sister-in-law, husband and myself met personally and up close this summer. We were in my brother's new pickup truck travelling in and around Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We drove down to Pawley's Island to visit some gift shops and have some lunch. My brother was in a shop, my husband and I and our sister-in-law returned to the truck to wait for him.

This is the swan who lives at the pond at the gift shops in Pawley's Island, South Carolina.
We were told she ran her mate off because she is so tempermental
...and she bites!
We kept our distance and I begin snapping pictures.

As she had forced her mate to leave, actually two of them,
her only companions are ducks.


I got in the truck. Larry and Teresa were outside the truck looking at her.
She was about fed up with the picture taking and us looking at her.
She plodded toward Larry and Teresa with her big feet,
head down and determined.


Then she spread her wings and charged!

Larry and Teresa jumped in the truck as quickly as they could. The swan's head was in and out of the front window where Larry sat ducking..."ducking"...no pun intended.
He was really trying to dodge her attempts to bite him.
After she was through scaring the daylights out of Larry, she began munching on the side mirror. She was mad!


She was through with the mirror - we THOUGHT she was through with us.

When she was through with the side-view mirror, she walked away. Teresa got out of the truck...

Swan abruptly turned and marched toward Teresa - here she came again with that intent, determined look!
Good thing Teresa was fast on her feet!

THE END

So, if you ever have the opportunity to visit beautiful Pawley's Island, do so ... but be forwarned...

there is a swan...



17 comments:

Angela said...

That is one mean looking swan! I had forgotten how big they were. It has been years since I've seen one.

Hugs,
Angela

Craig Miyamoto said...

Lawdie lawdie. That was almost your swan song! I've run from geese before, I can only imagine having a huge ol' swan nippin' at my bee-you-tocks!

R. said...

Don't mess with swans! LOL. Great story and pictures. :)

claudie said...

Ah Miss Bee, I remember your beautiful Swan story. Thanks for making me think... again.
Please come back and check my post again. I took your advice and snapped some pictures inside the guest cottage. It's ready for you!!!
Love and huge big hugs
Love you
Claudie
xoxoxo

jeanne said...

Hi Deborah, I am laughing about that swan. A real meanie huh? They mate for life and she chases him off. I have known geese to be mean but this swan, is the first meanie I have met.

Hope all is well with you my dear friend.

Hugs...Jeanne

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

Swans are beautiful but a little on the mean side (LOL).

Anonymous said...

I wonder what that swan is so ticked about that she has run off her mate and her would be friends? LOL....I have waited and waited for swans to come to our lake but to no avail. I remember a neighbor of ours had ducks. I was just a little girl and when walking to school near those ducks they would hiss at us. They scared me to death. :) Happy Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Oops...I meant my neighbor had geese...not ducks. Mean ol' geese!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh dear! (sorry, but I'm having to laugh here!)

she really did have a disgruntled and determined look!

...thank goodness you all are safe and sound!

Blessings & Aloha!

Keetha Broyles said...

Swans can be mucho meano.

I've even read a novel in which a "swan attack" figured prominently in the plot!

Tonya Vollertsen said...

You must look up the story by Bailey White about the Swans. It is hilarious! You will relate. She used to read short stories on National Public Radio but I found her collection on tape at the library several years ago.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at picturespotspens.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
William

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

Anonymous said...

Top site, I had not come across picturespotspens.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the great work!

R. said...

I think I know that swan!

It's an important South Carolina lesson: Don't mess with the swan mafia.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at picturespotspens.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from this blog post above if I give a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Oliver

Anonymous said...

Victor Cruz Kids Jersey axiotakix
Green Aaron Rodgers Women's Jersey axiotakix
Robert Griffin III Nike Jersey axiotakix
http://www.nikebroncosnflshop.com