Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bravo! Bravo!


My time with a legend was a dark and stormy night,

My sensitivity would be taken to new heights.

November 16, 2002, an evening I will not forget…

My dream was fulfilled. The memory had been set.



The lights went down, silence reigned.

I felt as from my face the blood had drained.

I held my breath, my heart pounded….the drum BOOMED!

His larger than life presence filled the room!



Standing there before us - the man with the golden throat.

We were on our feet cheering before he sang a note.

He offered “Addio, fiorito asil” from Madame Butterfly and we accepted.

“Che gelida manina” from La Boheme followed. It was like a blessing.



He sang again, again and again.

Passion, crying, joyfulness, humor and laughing.

He spoke to my mind. He sang to my soul.

He comforted me. My heart he stole.



He poured out his heart in song. I fought back the tears.

Each note that echoed was like to God a prayer.

We rose to our feet again and again.

“Bravo! Bravo Luciano!

Amen and Amen!



How happy I was to be there, yet it was bittersweet.

Daddy was not beside me - my joy was incomplete.

Love of music he taught me, love of song he left me.

He admired greats like Enrico Caruso, he wanted to see Pavarotti.


My promise was to take him if he were ever near.

But he came too late for Daddy - late by three years.

I could not contain myself as I thought of my beloved.

Each song I heard brought back memories of what he had dreamed of.



Three times Luciano came back when we thought he was through.

Each time returning to the stage to the sound of the drum’s “BOOM!”

Each time we rose, thrilled that he did not go.

Each time yelling fervently, “Bravo Luciano, bravo!”



I thought he was magnificent! I didn’t want this to end!

The last time he stood before us, I thought my body would ascend.

For he sang “O Sol A Mio”. A grateful heart I then surrendered.

How often I had heard Daddy’s voice sing it, oh, so tender.



Luciano, Luciano, we raise our glass to you!

Luciano, Luciano, we bid you Adieu!

I had spent an evening with the Maestro.

“Bravo, bravo Luciano, bravo!



~Copyright D.Cashwell~

2 comments:

Katherine said...

BRAVO!!!!! Deborah

Unknown said...

Just beautiful!! I had the opportunity to hear Pavarotti at the Met in NYC nearly 30 years ago. Whenever he sings "Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's "Turandot" I get all choked up. I love this YouTube link, and he was about this age when I saw him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfC9LfR3PI

Bobby Tippett