Monday, December 22, 2008

~N'awlins ... Again~

Well, I said I wanted to go back to New Orleans and here I am...again! This was my first post when I began blogging in May of 2007. I have only ONE comment on that post. Thank you for reviewing my older posts DIANE.

So, I am posting that first post again - because I just know you all must not have seen it. Otherwise, I KNOW I would have had many, many comments! Don't you think?!

Here it is...ENJOY!




We had so much fun in New Orleans! First evening there after checking into Chateau Sonesta, we walked several blocks to Jackson Square to eat some Cajun food – had Gumbo, Jambalya, red beans and rice…can’t remember the restaurant’s name.

After, we went right across the street to Cafe Du Monde for Beignets – Ha!...don’t wear a black shirt there like I did!






Next morning we had breakfast at Brennans. What a treat! It was decadent! I'm embarrassed to say how much our bill was - but it did include a $36 cookbook. Our waiter was the best! He suggested we start our breakfast off with turtle soup…no thank you!

I had a Mimosa and Larry had
a Brandy Milk Punch. Oh was that good!

To eat, I had Eggs Benedict..(Perfect!)

Larry had Eggs Shannon – poached eggs on top trout and spinach



For dessert – remember this is our breakfast – we had Bananas Foster – it was invented at Brennans. Waiter came over and picked up my camera and said to me – “Come with me Honey”…I followed him to the Bananas Foster station where he handed me a spoon and told me to make the dessert! He gave the camera to a waitress who took seven pictures of me and every one was fuzzy – I don’t know how she carried food and drinks with her shaky hands! I was so disappointed when I looked at the pictures. Oh well, I have the memory.

Brennan's Bananas Foster
¼ cup (½ stick) butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup banana liqueur
4 bananas, cut in half
lengthwise, then halved
¼ cup dark rum
4 scoops vanilla ice cream


Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat either on an alcohol burner or on top of the stove, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the banana liqueur, then place the bananas in the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum. When the flames subside, lift the bananas out of the pan and place four pieces over each portion of ice cream. Generously spoon warm sauce over the top of the ice cream and serve immediately.




Sharing Bananas Foster















Hubby bought me a
cookbook which our waiter had Executive Chef Randolph Lazone
personalize and autograph. All that could not have been better had we had Breakfast at Tiffany’s!



After, we walked back to Jackson Square and the French Market by way of Bourbon Street – not a pretty sight during daylight hours. I like Royal Street much better – lots and lots of antique stores. Later that night we went back to Bourbon Street again to see how it was at night – wow! The street was blocked off and tons of people were staggering, yes staggering up and down the street and it was loud, so loud with all the bands going full blast in the open bars. Little kids were tap dancing on the street for money. Made me sad that they were in that atmosphere – all those raunchy strip joints and bars and the pictures at the strip joints for any kid walking past to see...

That night we ate at Dickie Brennans Steakhouse...another winner!

I had prime rib, au gratin potatoes and...

Tomato-Bleu Cheese Napoleon

"Thick tomato slices layered with Danish bleu cheese, shaved red onion, and garlic aïoli croutons, topped with our housemade remoulade sauce"


I forgot to take a picture of that! It was awesome!


Next day – Saturday – we walked many, many, many blocks to the D-Day museum…that was a sobering experience…no wonder veterans don’t like talking about the war. We took a cab back to Jackson Square where we had a Muffaletta for lunch, then took a tour of the old cemeteries, the mansions, “ground zero” where the levy broke – that’s another story – it was heartbreaking. Going down Esplanade Avenue we saw a lot of cameras and people taking photos of an old house – we were told it was bought by Angelina Joline and Brad Pitt – it must be a fixer upper. Okay, this is getting mighty long…I think I’ll finish it later. We did have a great time!
Photos property of Deborah

16 comments:

Rhonda Hartis Smith said...

I'm sure you will get many more comments this time. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I would love to go back sometimes.

Rhonda

Unknown said...

I remember looking at this! Cafe de Monde is so much fun! I love New Orleans! Hope you get to go back soon!
Diane

Peggy said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. It has been years since my last trip to New Orleans but I still remember it fondly. The chicory coffee at the little shop by the river. I wonder if it is still there?

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Peggy
http://pegslifeinthebuttonjar.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Ok now that was worth a visit for sure Deborah.
BTW does anyone call you Deb? I'm so used to calling my sister Deb that Deborah doesn't seem to roll of my tongue as easily.
I can see that you do love Mimosa's & egg's benedict. WOW what an amazing trip. The closest we got to Orleans was driving through it in a torrential downpour. We did visit Mississippi & lot's of Southern States but haven't been to Raleigh yet?? I have always been intrigued with you Southern Ladies and the stories they carry.
Maybe on day
Happy Blue Monday my friend.
I finally did get to bed at 2am last night. Now just hanging around in my P.J.'s with hubby and kids.

Anonymous said...

Deborah, I am so glad you shared this with us. Your trip must have been perfect, and your memories must be so sweet.

YayaOrchid said...

Oh, that must have been such a wonderful getaway! The pictures show such a lovely view of N.O. What a memorable trip!

Anonymous said...

Deborah, I adored your trip to New Orleans. The buildings, the scenery and the food. Oh yeah, the food. Mmmmmm. I can't believe you made Bananas Foster. The photo of you and your dh feeding each other your fabulous dessert...priceless. I am so glad you shared your post again.

We visited there for a bowl game years ago and had a blast. Gator fans were everywhere. We played W. Virginia and we won. Go Gators.

Thank you again for your kind words about Babette. I didn't want to post about her but Bill poured over her pictures for days and wanted me to do it. I am glad I did but you are right, it was so hard. Maybe we can finally say goodbye at last.

Love and hugs...Jeanne

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Ohhhhh! Deborah! I wasn't blogging back then or I would have found it! I am drooling all over my keyboard! I LOVE beignets! We had a Cafe du Monde here in Georgia, too, for a while...closed now. :-( I will say that breakfast at Brennan's was our very best meal there. I had eggs Hussard. Yum!!! My only regret was that I could only manage 3 meals a day...sometimes not that! I so want to go back! Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!...Debbie

Cathy said...

Hi Deborah,

Great post. DH and I have been pondering a visit to New Orleans. We live in MA. I have no desire to go there, but he wants to see it. Of course, he loves ANY kind of food and the thought of anything cajun makes my tummy hurt.

If you have a moment would you email me some of your thoughts about your travels. I would love to hear more.

xo Cathy
atreasuredheirloom@comcast.net

Thank you

Wanda said...

Just wanted to say hey, Looks like you had a great time. Are you going again soon? TTFN

CIELO said...

Beautiful post... I love that photograph of you and your husband sharing dessert! So romantic! and such pretty place that is, I wish I could be in a lovely sunny place like that right now! ;)

Merry Christmas and warm wishes from our house to yours

cielo

Unknown said...

Deborah, you make me want to go there again even more than I did before I read your blog! Thanks so much for sharing!

joliverb

Mojo said...

Okay I was hungry when I got here, but all this food filled me right up. If I spent the holidays hanging around your blog I could avoid those extra pounds a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

Deborah, I came over to wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas with blessings for the New Year. I am so glad we were able to meet and get to know each other in person. You are very special and a good friend.

Christmas love...Jeanne

Craig Miyamoto said...

One of my fave places on this planet, I've been to Nawlins at least 8 times and have eaten my way through the town as well. I've even been there when it hailed. Lemme join you on the settee and reminisce with you!

Beverly said...

I love, love, love New Orleans and have been several times. Banana Foster is my favorite dessert. We have a place in town called, Sperry's, that makes a BF almost as good as Brennans.