it's so nice
on the sliding ice
to sip hot chicken soup with rice.
CHICKEN WITH RICE SOUP
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
Salt and Pepper to taste
A dash of olive oil
A small pat of butter (optional)
A cup or so of chopped, cooked white chicken meat, skin and fat removed
Half a cup of chopped, cooked dark chicken meat, skin and fat removed, (optional)
6 cups of chicken stock or broth.
Half a cup of pre-cooked rice (see notes below)
Chopped or dried parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
1. Warm up your olive oil and butter in your soup pot on medium-low.
2. Add the vegetables and a dash of salt. Add the garlic a minute or so later. Cook until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
3. A minute or so before the vegetables are done, add the sage, rosemary and thyme.
4. Add the chicken pieces and cook for a minute or two more.
5. Add the chicken stock and the pre-cooked rice.
6. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Add the parsley a minute or so before serving.
You can replace the rice with noodles of any sort. Just add them about 7 to 10 minutes before serving to allow them to cook (will depend on the type and thickness of noodles). Simply cook until they are the desired tenderness.
You can add other vegetables to this recipe for a change. Add a handful of frozen peas about 5 minutes before serving. They have just enough time to cook through and still remain firm enough to have that wonderful "burst" of flavor in the mouth.
For a more heart-heathy treat, remove any fat with a lettuce leaf or refrigerate overnight and skim off any remaining fat.