Thursday, September 13, 2007


Well, I THOUGHT I would see you all Sunday, but as it turns out I wasn't able to be online.

We are back from Canada - not without incident. Niagra Falls was AWESOME! I loved going down to the falls - it's just that the Maid of the Mist was packed like a tin of sardines and the ride was way too short.

Toronto was a little too much...I think it's the third largest city in North America.
The International Film Festival was in town. My daughter and I went star hunting - only saw George Clooney and Matt Damon and Sienna Miller. The place was a madhouse! Everyone was looking for stars.

Sunday morning as we were on our way to the airport I started having pains in my right side. It was a 30 minute ride and by the time we got to the airport I was in serious pain. Had to check in, go through customs and security in pain and wouldn't you know I was picked to be scanned and to have my carry ons opened and checked! First thing on the plane - before it took off, I visited the BR and promptly threw up. From then on that's the way the flight went. I have never had to use a sickness bag as long as I've been flying, but I used three on the way home - just an hour and 1/2 flight. I had to taken in a wheelchair from the plane and threw up twice more before we got luggage and by that time I was doubled over in pain. I went straight to the hospital - I knew what it was - another kidney stone. My last one was in December. This one was worse because I had to wait so long for help. At least I was back in Raleigh - I don't ever want to go through something like that in another country. The doc gave me narcotics in my IV which started me being sick again. Finally that evening he sent me home with pills to try to flush the stone out. So, I've mostly been in bed since coming home from the hospital Sunday evening. Today I got out on my own and hope to back to my regular routines soon!
I have lots to catch up on!


Mary said...

Oh my gosh Deborah - I know exactly what you must have gone through! There is no pain worse - not even having a baby, right?
A couple of years ago, my husband was away on a business trip and my granddaughter spent the night and slept with me. I awoke at 4 AM and thought someone had stuck a kitchen knife in my side and I was dying - had never hurt so much. By 6 AM I had Jasmin call her mom and when she came over she immediately called an ambulance and I was rushed to Rex - thank God for painkillers in IV's. Yeah, a kidney stone - which I passed in a day or so. I have another small one on the other side so if that one ever decides to grow and move at least I'll know what's happening!
FYI - my blood sugar number has always been elevated since then - not really bad but enough to warrant reg. check ups to make sure I'm not headed toward type 2 diabetes! I think a kidney stone knocks everything out of whack in one's system.
Do take it easy - sorry your trip home was so uncomfortable - but glad you had a good time earlier.

Let's try to get together before I leave for England (10/15). I was at SuzAnna's today - will post later so you can see what I found. They're open all week now - perhaps we could meet there and go for lunch some day when you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this, dear friend!
What a bummer to happen on vacation, but at least you made it home in time to go to your own hospital.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Oh Deborah, How awful. I feel so bad for you but glad you are on the mend now. We have a mutual friend, Andrea, and she told me about your blog, so here I am. What a delightful blog you have. I enjoyed reading it so much. You are in N.C. and I am in Va. so we're neighbors. :))And most of my relatives are from N.C. :)) I'll be back. ~ Lynn

cjan said...

Hi Deborah,

I was just into Taras Blog and saw that you mentioned that you had gotten sick in Canada. I'm on the other side of Canada, BC, and so I came into your blog to see what had happened. wondered what we had done to you.LOL Anyway, i'm so sorry about your Kidney Stone. I have had them also. I used Pure Cold Pressed Olive oil 1/3 cup and 1/3 cup fresh Lemon Juice. It has seemed to take care of them and passes them. Just a suggestion... Look up on Google....

Hope you are on the mend soon. It's nice to meet you, and glad we didn't do something terrible to you!!
Except for the Rich food.LOL

Hugs, from BC Canada

Rosa said...

You poor soul! What horror, not only having a kidney stone, but getting sick on a plane! That had to be the worse! Poor you. Hope everything is progressing smoothly now. And--bone to pick--ONLY George Clooney! Lordy, I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven. My dream boat. Stay well.