Friday, March 6, 2009

~A Family Story~

At age 31, my great-grandmother Susannah traveled from Liverpool with three children to find a new life in America. She began the trip probably in March of 1882 with four of her surviving children ... one, an infant boy named George. Family stories say that after traveling by train from County Durham and a long walk to the ship, Susannah found that little George had died. Once on the ship, Susannah hid the death from the captain. Some say that the ship had left Liverpool and she concealed the death to avoid a burial at sea. Others say she left the ship before it departed and turned back to County Durham with her children and once there with others of her family, she sat before a fire, warming the baby's feet, trying to revive him. Losing this newborn child must have been a very heavy burden on her soul.



Finally making the trip, she settled in Kentucky with her husband and children. She was a baker and she took in boarders to supplement her coal miner husband's pay. He was also a carpenter and a Methodist minister.

Thomas and Susannah had five more children in the States. The first born here was my grandmother.

In this family photo with my great grandmother is my great-aunt Catherine at age nineteen. Catherine was born in 1895. Susannah was forty-four at that time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I have some friends who would like to show you their family albums and tell you their family stories today. They have their albums open for you to see each Friday. Some Fridays they show us vintage photos, some Fridays there are newer photos. The list of participants is below. I hope you will visit them and be sure to leave a comment!

MOLLY at Molly's Country Memories Home

JEANNE at Backyard Neighbor

ANGELA at Miss Molly Cottage

MALISA at Moonlight Hollow

CAROLYN at Wings of Eagles

JOY at Joy to the Blog

MARIAN at Princess of Pink

ANN at Life at Ann's Place

MONTEE at Palmetto Girl

SHERRIE at Sherrie's Stuff

TARA at Life As It Is

APRIL at Straight From the Heart










14 comments:

April said...

Deborah,
I know you're away, but my name was left off the list for a third time. Are you receiving my e-mail confirmations? I really enjoy participating in Friday's Favorite Family Foto, but I don't know what to do...any suggestions? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Deborah, your family story about your great grandmother was so interesting. I can't even imagine losing her little George that way. Wow, Five more children. What a woman. I loved your story and photo.

I hope you are having a wonderful time. See you soon.

Hugs and love...Jeanne

Unknown said...

Hi Deborah,
I always enjoy your stories and old photos..this one included.

I've been away this week, and didn't do a post...but don't give up on me...I'll try to be back next time!

ClassyChassy said...

Wonderful story - great to have some of that knowledge to keep and share! I prepared a posting last night, but forgot to get hold of you to add my name - if you can add it now, that would be great - if not, well, catch you next week?

Montee said...

What a beautiful photo and a great story! I think that story shows how hard people worked to be the best for their family and to provide. It shows determination. I am afraid that many in this country today, do not have those same values. Hope you have a safe trip!

said...

Deborah, either scenario is a heartbreaker. Wow. It's a real treasure to know these stories, even if there might be more than one version. Very valuable information to pass down and keep alive for further generations.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Love your story and the photo with it, I guess as I get older I realize how important it is to remember our past. Thanks for sharing.
Molly

Sherrie said...

Hi Deborah,
Wonderful photo and story! Having all those photos and stories to pass along to the next generation is an awesome thing. Mine is posted. Have a great day!

Sherrie

marina said...

these is my first time hear and I would love to participate in family pictures. thanks marina

Angela said...

I cannot imagine making that trip and then losing my infant son as well. Such a story of perserverance and life! thanks for sharing

Tara said...

Wow, what a story!! I can't believe you actually have a photo from so long ago...I love to see old photos like that, they're so interesting, no matter what the picture's of!

marina said...

love the story and the picture I also posted and link your blog up too my these friday however I don't know where to link up my name ") marina

Anonymous said...

Deborah, what an amazing woman she must have been.

Thank you for sharing this touching story.

Angela said...

What a touching story! Great pictures! I'm sure you Treasure it! Your great grand mother was so much tougher than the women of today. She looks so much older than 44 in that picture.
Hugs,
Angela